Prasar Bharti for 50:50 split in revenue from foreign sport events
Source: News Bharati Date: 9/6/2011 7:07:53 PM
New Delhi, Sep 6 : Prasar Bharati today mooted an amendment to an Act which governs telecast of sports events held in foreign countries with an aim of enabling ‘Doordarshan’ garner greater revenue through equal sharing policy.
The policy amendment to the Sports Broadcasting Signals (Mandatory Sharing with Prasar Bharati) Act was decided upon at a meeting of the Prasar Bharti Board here. Sources said the Board decided that the revenues of the events held abroad and telecast by Doordarshan be shared on a 50-50 per cent basis with foreign broadcast partner so that the state broadcaster's profit margin increases.
As per the present arrangement, 75 per cent of the revenue collected by Doordarshan is to be onpassed by it to the broadcast partner, leaving itself with only 25 per cent. The Prasar Bharti Board decided that the Ministry of Information & Broadcasting be requested to immediately implement the recommendation because of the heavy financial consequences imposed on Doordarshan due to unequal playing field provided under the present dispensation, a press release said.